CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Waiting For Superman

My Journal

2/15/14


Today I don't want to be introspective. I want to just be superficial, which is kind of different for me, not in an arrogant way, just in a factual way. I thought it was interesting when I read an article about a guy who decided to follow Ben Franklin's schedule for a day. Ben left time for study and to deal with spiritual things. The author said he almost never did that, and it was an interesting thing for him to do. Thinking about big things like God and purpose and why we are here and doing research into those questions is something I grew up doing and something I do all the time. How can you not wonder about that? How can you just go through life and just go to work, come home, be with your someone, party sometimes and that is it. That is satisfying? Really? Don't you wonder about things as a whole? Don't you wonder why we are here or how, or do you just take science's or God's word for it and leave it at that. I guess in a way you could have more of your emotional energy available to fritter away on personal drama. That might be interesting. I know it is kind of a weight on me to wonder about my, and our purpose, to wonder what or who else is out there, and it is a huge itch I am just dying to scratch to see everything as it really is. I used to think I would just go to heaven and God would explain it all to me and I could live with that. Now I am not so sure I will ever know, and ugh, that is annoying.

But to live without that burden, to me is to live in a closet. To live in the small world of what I see now. I just need to get out into the air and breath and wonder, and make wild guesses and hope. So with that comes the burden of what I don't know, of making choices and just not knowing if they are the right ones because I can't have all the information. I can't see past death or into the new millennium, so I have to make some of my best guesses blind.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Unpopular View on Adult Beauty Pageants

I recently read a blog post a woman wrote that expressed her revulsion for beauty pageants and connected them to most evils that were ever done to women. As a matter of fact the writing of women ragging on pageants is very plentiful on the internet. I just checked. The thing I was most interested in, however is an actual link between beauty pageants and violence against women, or low self esteem, or any negative outcome for women. I like proven facts. In this case, there appear to be very little proven connection between any of the above. I believe this is one of those cases where feminism has done women a disservice, limited their options and unfairly pitted women against each other. Let me elaborate.

1. If my daughter desired to be in a beauty pageant I would completely understand. As a matter of fact two good friends of my husbands' were in a pageant years ago and they had a good time buying new clothes, making new friends, and for a short time enjoying the limelight. It was fun for both women. Similarly, I could completely understand the draw my daughter would see in being able to buy new fancy clothes, do her hair and makeup and act like a superstar for an hour. She would also get to practice public speaking and hone a specific talent. What a unique experience! Neither I nor my husband would force her to, and we would be completely happy with whatever the outcome was. We would encourage her to do her best, just like in anything. Whether she chose to to it again would be up to her. Do I think she would be more likely to be raped because she participated, No. Do I think others might be raped because she participated, No. Do I think she would feel worse about herself if she participated, not if her father and I helped her understand her feelings if any self esteem issues came up, but I believe more than likely she would see the other girls involved in the pageant and realize that she had advantages over some and not over others. Just like all of us women see in real life. I don't think she will participate in a pageant and then suddenly fall victim to a high pressure world of constant pageant performance, especially if I am a responsible parent and help her understand society and her emotions. As far as parents who do pressure young girls to participate in the pageant circuit, I think there are many negative affects to that scenario on children, but those effects are as much related to the parental pressure as the pageants themselves. Also, I feel she would be most likely to be raped if I didn't educate her on male/female relationships, which leads to my second point.

2. If we expect society to teach our girls what to be proud of and how to act we will be disappointed. Society pays actors and models much more than humanitarians, and loves to publicize scandals. Our girls will have to be in charge of their own self esteem just like the rest of us. My daughter will have to choose to be happy, or dwell on her shortcomings, and I will have to show her how to do that. All of us fall somewhere on the beauty continuum, and we have to come to terms with that place, whether it is fair or not. Some of the aspects of our position we can change. We may choose to drop some pounds to help our appearance and our health, or try a new makeup to even out our complexion. We may not. Regardless, it is a choice we make, and it is something we can choose to work within or to obsess over. My job as a mom is to help my daughter navigate all of the input she is getting from the world, pageants included, and teach her confidence no matter what she hears and sees. The same applies to my boys.

3. One thing that is rather disturbing is that this attitude toward pageants and women who compete in them brings to light one of the negative aspects of womanhood. The fact that sometimes women hate beautiful women. I know that there are girls who look good who are lonely and hurting because others assume these girls have their lives put together just because their appearance is. It is a sad form of war against our own kind. We ought to be confident and proud of our own style choices and celebrate the fact that others are free to express themselves through fashion as well. If they rock an outfit better than we do, or use fashion to help them win a scholarship rather than just to clothe themselves for a trip to the store we should accept their freedom to do so.

Yes, the women do wear swimsuits, but pageants have tried to show other sides of women besides poise and fitness as well. We gloss over the fact that women in pageants are often talented, well-spoken, and care about philanthropy, all of which is usually displayed in the pageant. Pageants are not for everybody, and they are not an opportunity open to everyone. In our current equality loving state of affairs in America we tend to want to impose mediocrity on those who have too much potential for our own comfort. As a 5'2", ok-looking, thirty-something I am fully aware that pageants are not an option for me and I am good with that, GREAT, actually because the whole prissy makeup and hair-do part of the pageant is not my style. I think pageants present great opportunities to those who want to and can participate in them, however. Women need to take responsibility for their own self-esteem, teach their children to do the same, and let fellow women pursue their dreams, whatever they are.

0 comments: