CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Waiting For Superman

My Journal

2/15/14


Today I don't want to be introspective. I want to just be superficial, which is kind of different for me, not in an arrogant way, just in a factual way. I thought it was interesting when I read an article about a guy who decided to follow Ben Franklin's schedule for a day. Ben left time for study and to deal with spiritual things. The author said he almost never did that, and it was an interesting thing for him to do. Thinking about big things like God and purpose and why we are here and doing research into those questions is something I grew up doing and something I do all the time. How can you not wonder about that? How can you just go through life and just go to work, come home, be with your someone, party sometimes and that is it. That is satisfying? Really? Don't you wonder about things as a whole? Don't you wonder why we are here or how, or do you just take science's or God's word for it and leave it at that. I guess in a way you could have more of your emotional energy available to fritter away on personal drama. That might be interesting. I know it is kind of a weight on me to wonder about my, and our purpose, to wonder what or who else is out there, and it is a huge itch I am just dying to scratch to see everything as it really is. I used to think I would just go to heaven and God would explain it all to me and I could live with that. Now I am not so sure I will ever know, and ugh, that is annoying.

But to live without that burden, to me is to live in a closet. To live in the small world of what I see now. I just need to get out into the air and breath and wonder, and make wild guesses and hope. So with that comes the burden of what I don't know, of making choices and just not knowing if they are the right ones because I can't have all the information. I can't see past death or into the new millennium, so I have to make some of my best guesses blind.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Occupy














The day after Thanksgiving we avoided the stores, and went for the first time to
Moorehead Planetarium, in Chapel Hill. We noticed, while driving around that Occupy Chapel Hill had setup camp right in front of the post office a block or so away from the Planetaruim. Todd and I thought it would be a great opportunity to ask questions of these enigmatic, but enthusiastic protesters. We informed the kids about the basics of the movement, the value of free speech, and encouraged them to formulate their own questions to ask the people involved in the protest. At the end of the day when we had time to glance at their literature and read their worn signs, there were few people hanging around to talk to. We wandered past a young man leisurely strumming a guitar and finally asked a few questions of an older gentleman, who seemed to have some strong personal opinions, but I don't know how well they represented the movement. I really don't know exactly what represents the movement best. In all honesty the first article I read about the movement seemed more entertaining than an onion article, and it took me a moment to realize the story was real.

I have a little experience with protesting. Back when I was a teen, there was a summer-long string of vibrant pro-life protesting outside of abortion clinics. The church I attended was involved, and I was very interested in protecting the rights of the unborn. I got rides to the protests, and held signs. I prayed and watched as those who were blocking clinic clients were arrested by police. I listened as angry members of the National Organization for Women yelled loud rhyming poems at us. I sang songs with other protesters. I felt I was part of something big, exciting, important and meaningful. I also saw things I found disturbing. One incident was particularly repulsive to me. Local TV cameras had come to film our protest that day and I saw a small group of people keep an eye on camera activity. When the camera turned to them they burst into fake tears, and started yelling phrases that might have come from the mind of an unborn baby. "Why do you want to kill me, Mommy?" and similar disturbing phrases pierced the air. Then the second the cameras were turned off the people became silent, brushed themselves off, and just stood there. At the time the thing that disturbed me the most was how those people were more focused on gaining media attention than being genuine.

I say this not to take a pro-life or pro-choice side and begin that polarizing debate. If you want my opinion about that I can get into it at another time. My point is that I am naturally distrusting of protests of any kind. I have seen first-hand that they are not always what they seem.

There are protests that do accomplish their intent. But if the people you want to get through to are so addicted to abusing capitalism that all they respond to is the almighty dollar, I don't think they will be intimidated by massive amounts of people who would rather gather and gripe than earn money. Todd had the great idea of beginning a website that posts all relevant information about companies for the public to see. If people are thinking of working with a company they can find out how much the CEO makes, how much they contribute to philanthropy, things like that. Such a website could possibly affect how the company is viewed in reality, and therefore, possibly directly influence how much money they make in the future. I think if people were really interested in blowing the cover on big business they would look into how big business works, what influences them, what could hurt them. To affect change in how businesses are run you need to speak their language.

Best of luck to you in the "Occupy" movement, but I sincerely hope it doesn't represent the best and brightest of those who want to bring accountability to the American financial sector. I agree on the need for change, and though it is not a cause I am choosing to spend my time on, I hope those that choose to address it find a more efficient means.

0 comments: