CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Waiting For Superman

My Journal

2/15/14


Today I don't want to be introspective. I want to just be superficial, which is kind of different for me, not in an arrogant way, just in a factual way. I thought it was interesting when I read an article about a guy who decided to follow Ben Franklin's schedule for a day. Ben left time for study and to deal with spiritual things. The author said he almost never did that, and it was an interesting thing for him to do. Thinking about big things like God and purpose and why we are here and doing research into those questions is something I grew up doing and something I do all the time. How can you not wonder about that? How can you just go through life and just go to work, come home, be with your someone, party sometimes and that is it. That is satisfying? Really? Don't you wonder about things as a whole? Don't you wonder why we are here or how, or do you just take science's or God's word for it and leave it at that. I guess in a way you could have more of your emotional energy available to fritter away on personal drama. That might be interesting. I know it is kind of a weight on me to wonder about my, and our purpose, to wonder what or who else is out there, and it is a huge itch I am just dying to scratch to see everything as it really is. I used to think I would just go to heaven and God would explain it all to me and I could live with that. Now I am not so sure I will ever know, and ugh, that is annoying.

But to live without that burden, to me is to live in a closet. To live in the small world of what I see now. I just need to get out into the air and breath and wonder, and make wild guesses and hope. So with that comes the burden of what I don't know, of making choices and just not knowing if they are the right ones because I can't have all the information. I can't see past death or into the new millennium, so I have to make some of my best guesses blind.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Arin, x-men, and heroes




The x-men has been a unifying force for my boys and just the spark Arin's imagination needed. X-men have made their way into a book that Evan made for Arin. A few clips are included above, but for the entire work you will have to, well, visit our house, and have us locate it somewhere in Arin's backpack under all of his action figures.
Notice Evans announcement on one page of "Naw we ar giting mared" He drew the all important wedding of Cyclops and Jean Gray. The kids are very interested in the whole marriage thing. There is even a maze for Arin to do on the last page of the book. I laminated it for posterity.

As Arin was reading to me during "school", recently, the last word he read was "kitten", which reminded me of Kitty Pryde. I told him, "You know I should go online and put those names on a writing sheet for you." ( If any of you don't know you can go to www.handwritingworksheets.com and make up your own handwriting worksheet) So I asked him which names he would like to learn to write. I printed out names like Colossus, Jean Gray and Kitty Pryde, then I warned him I wouldn't print more until he had those done, thinking he would write a name or two a day for a couple weeks or so. He got four worksheets ( with five repetitions of each name) done within a couple hours. He was so proud of himself when he handed those sheets to Daddy that evening. He was just jumping around as Daddy pulled in, waiting for the perfect moment to present his work. I never thought the x-men would be so motivating to him. Today we did addition with his action fig
ures. He did great!










































Which
leads me to think about how superheroes affect us grownups
. I tend to think maybe there is an urge in all adults to make use of our fight-or-flight mode more often than we get the opportunity in modern society. Some say our early ancestors left this imprint on our minds, and for them, danger was lurking around every corner. Maybe our bodies are flowing with latent adrenaline that will never find it's purpose outside of cave dwelling. Maybe that is why in the absence of real problems so many people waste a good portion of their time on manufactured ones. Maybe that is why, now that there are few mysteries about how people live elsewhere in the world thanks to modern media, we feel so overwhelmed by people whose cultures and problems are so different from ours. We yearn to test our courage rescuing people in need only to find we are blocked by the surprising shield of a cathode ray tube. Some of us that have all this time to care and can't reach so many people we wish we could help feel uncomfortably helpless. That is when superheroes come in and rescue us from that position. For an hour-and-a-half in the dark I can submerge myself in a world where a person or a crew of persons has the wisdom to say all the brilliant things in appropriate situations. This person has access to the right people and gadgets to take control of chaos and change things for good on a grand scale. In modern movies we even get to explore the complex workings of the minds of heroes, and speak blasphemies against their perfection, while still being stirred by their awesome deeds.

After that hour-and-a-half of excitement my need to use my survival adrenaline has been sated. As I find my way to the line at the bathroom and then the exit I may realize that none of these people I am surrounded by are Iron Man, or Bat Man, or Storm. Maybe, just as we will never save the earth the way superheroes do there are not problems as dire as would need such heroes. There must not be evil leaders or children being hurt or anything worse than my own stress about my debt to income ratio. If there are no super humans, there must be nothing of superhuman proportions that needs to be done in the world. Because anything that evil would be completely impossible to comprehend, let alone live with. Thank goodness everything in the movies has no basis in reality.


PS. Please catch my sarcasm, and therefore the uncomfortable, yet motivating position it leaves you in.

0 comments: